Chicken Strips in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Chicken Strips in Creamy Mushroom Sauce is a delicious and easy to make dinner recipe. A one-pan meal ready in just 30 minutes!
This chicken in creamy mushroom sauce recipe is a fantastic recipe that is delicious in the winter months, but can be enjoyed at any time. The dish can be made in a variety of ways, but this recipe follows how I best like it. My family absolutely loves this recipe, and it is one of the few ways I can get my toddler to eat mushrooms!
Even better, the meal only takes 30 minutes and can be cooked in one pan! It makes it so much easier for both cooking and cleaning. I do not know about you, but I like cooking much more than I like cleaning!
What is Champignon Rahm Geschnetzeltes?
The word Geschnetzeltes (pronounced geh-shnet-sel-tess) is the Swiss/ Austrian word that refers to how the meat is cut, which is in strips. Technically, any kind of meat can be used in this recipe like beef, turkey, or pork, but in this recipe, I use chicken. Champignon is the word for mushroom, which is an essential part of this delicious dish.
Is it okay to cook with wine?
Although you should definitely not give your kids wine to drink, cooking with wine is perfectly fine! When you cook wine, it burns off the alcohol content making it completely fine for consumption. It adds a depth of flavor to the dish, so I recommend keeping it in, but it is not the end of the world if you skip it. You can deglaze with chicken stock or simply water if you do not feel comfortable using wine.
What can I serve with it?
Chicken in mushroom sauce goes well with almost any carb. My family and I like it on top of pasta, but it can pair well with rice or mashed potatoes as well. I recommend going with a side that soaks up all the flavors of the mushroom sauce. It will taste so much better that way!
Tips & Alternatives
- I like to use chicken breast in my recipe, but you can use chicken thighs if you want. You can even choose a different meat if you like, it doesn’t have to be chicken.
- In my recipe, I use fresh cream as I feel it gives the perfect flavor and texture to the sauce. But if you are on a diet, you can use reduced fat cream or evaporated milk.
- You can really use any type of mushroom in this recipe. I prefer Baby Bellas and portabellas, but it is meant to be simple, so use what you have.
This chicken in mushroom sauce recipe is my go-to meal when I am feeling lazy, but still want to eat something delicious. It is quick to make, flavorful, and goes well with any side. We absolutely love this dish, and I hope you and your family does as well!
Try this recipe yourself and please let me know in the comments how this recipe turns out for you! Enjoy!
Please visit the rest of my page for more interesting recipes HERE
Chicken Strips in Creamy Mushroom Sauce (Champignon Rahm Geschnetzeltes)
- 500 grams chicken breast
- 300 grams mushroom (any type will do)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 piece bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup Fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- salt & black pepper to taste
- parsley for garnishing (or any herbs you prefer)
- Cut your chicken breast into strips.
- Heat up a pan over medium high heat. Add chicken strips when pan is hot enough then fry until chicken is golden brown. Set aside
- Heat up a pan with the butter and add your sliced onion. Cook in medium high heat until the onion is soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add your sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook until browned. (overmixing your mushroom will expel mushroom's water content, resulting in pale mushroom.)
- Deglaze your pan by pouring the wine over. Add paprika powder, bay leaf then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the stock and fresh cream into the pan then mix well,
- Add your chicken strips then cook for about 5 minutes more. Season with more salt and pepper. Adjust according to your taste preference.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Easy to follow recipe plus it only took me less than an hour to make. Delicious!
Yes, it is a fast family meal that is also a sure hit with the kids. ?