Chocolate Chip Mini Cupcakes
These chocolate chip mini cupcakes are unimaginably moist and delicious!
Desserts and sweet treats are always welcome in our home . There is nothing better than finishing a meal and having room for dessert! Now, I am not a huge lover of chocolate in itself, but when it is a chocolate cake or chocolate-based dessert that is a different story. I mean, who can say no to a chocolate pastry?
I like to make these cupcakes fun-sized as my son prefers to eat them that way, but it also makes me feel a lot less guilty when eating them! You can make them regular-sized, but you will need to increase the baking time to around 18 t 22 minutes. Do the toothpick test to make sure it is cooked properly if changing the baking time.
This recipe is the ultimate rich, sweet treat for chocolate lovers and non-lovers alike. These mini cupcakes use two special ingredients to create its deep flavors and moist texture: instant coffee and vinegar. Before you get scared, you can’t taste either of these in the cupcakes! The coffee enhances the flavor of the chocolate, and deepens its richness. It also will not give off any caffeine, so you can feed them to your kids without worrying about a caffeine high. Similar to the use of coffee, the vinegar will not change the flavor of the cupcakes at all. When vinegar and baking soda are combined, it creates a much more airy and moist cake at the end. I recommend trying the recipe as it is the first time you bake it, but if you are really worried about the coffee you can take it out.
My family enjoys the cupcakes as is, but you can add some frosting or caramel on top if you like. There are many ways to elevate your cupcakes, so here are a few tips:
- Sift the dry ingredients to prevent clumping and impurities in your batter.
- It is a simple recipe, so higher quality ingredients will provide a better tasting cupcake. You don’t have to do this, but it will definitely boost the flavors!
- Allow your cupcakes to cool completely before eating them. I know it’s enticing to eat the cupcakes straight away, but if you let them cool first they’ll hold their shape better.
With its mini-size, you can enjoy these delicious double chocolate chip cupcakes in a smaller portion size to prevent overeating or having too much sugar. It is okay to have sweets, so this is the perfect way to manage portion control. The small cupcakes can also be an awesome way to share them with many guests for a party, or other gathering. If you want to pack them as a nice treat for your kid’s school lunches, they can last in an airtight container for about 4 days. Don’t worry, the cupcakes will stay moist the whole time!
Try these scrumptious mini chocolate chip cookies, and let me know in the comments how it went for you! Did you try adding the coffee and vinegar? I’d love to hear about your time baking my cupcake recipe. Enjoy!
Please check out more of my recipes HERE. Thank you
Easy Chocolate Mini Cupcake
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee optional
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 170˚C with the rack in the center of the oven. Fill the mini cupcake baking pan with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until smooth and free from lumps.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix until ingredients are just incorporated. Please note that the batter will be slightly thin.
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Fill each cupcake pan about 1/2 full of the mixture (do not overfill) and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips evenly over the tops. Bake at 170°C on the center rack for about 10-12 minutes (mine was 10 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I loved this recipe! First time making them and it was so easy to follow and perceptive! Will be participating in this recipe with others.
You’re welcome. Thank you for trying this recipe.
Wow! I definitely want to try this recipe. The photo alone is so tempting and they look so moist. I’m not really a baker but this may just make one of me.
Yes, try it! I am sure you will not be disappointed ?
Wow – hit me with chocolate in so many different ways – unsweetened cocoa powder, dark cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate chips. Delicious! This recipe really had me at Instant Coffee. Instant coffee has such a yummy way of amplifying the chocolate flavor. Mini cupcakes are the best – perfectly sized for a quick afternoon treat or a portion-controlled dessert. My neighbor, a chocolate-lover, has been helping me with projects around the house. These chocolate cupcakes are going to be the perfect way to say thank you.
You are the sweetest Kimberly ?! Coffee really makes chocolate taste more intense and this I love so much! I am sure you will get more help from your neighbor when you bake this cupcakes for them.