Authentic Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
Spaghetti carbonara: A deliciously uncomplicated
(and authentic) Italian dish to satisfy all taste buds.
Having this recipe in your cookbook will make anyone
think you are a professional chef!
Spaghetti carbonara is one of the simplest, yet most delicious Italian dishes anyone can make at home. Despite its simplicity, it can also be…quite easy to mess up as well. But if you follow my recipe, then I know you will be able to make spaghetti carbonara with no issues!
What is pasta carbonara?
Originating from Rome, this pasta dish is made with eggs, cheese, cured pork (i.e. bacon or pancetta), pasta, and black pepper. The “sauce” is made by adding raw eggs and cheese to the cooked pasta to create a rich and creamy texture. Hearing the words “raw eggs,” probably scared a few of you, but no worries – the eggs will be cooked through from the pasta’s residual heat.
Why is it difficult?
With only a few ingredients, this recipe may seem foolproof. Although it can be easy, since you are adding in eggs at the end of the recipe, this can lead to some difficulties. If this step is not done properly, you’ll get pasta a la scrambled eggs! I’m pretty sure you don’t want that in your carbonara. It takes a bit of technique and timing to get the perfect carbonara at home, but by following my recipe and the following tips you can achieve it!
Tips on the perfect carbonara
- Make sure you use room temperature eggs for the sauce, this will prevent any clumps.
- Let out all of your frustrations when whisking the eggs, and make sure the egg whites and yolks are perfectly combined. This will give you the best creaminess in your carbonara sauce.
- Grate the cheese into the egg mixture to get even distribution of the cheese in the pasta.
- Take the al dente pasta off the heat before adding the sauce, and add in the egg-cheese mixture little by little while moving the pasta around. Not only will the sauce distribute better, but it will also prevent the eggs from scrambling and curdling.
- Although I haven’t done this personally, some people like to add in peas to give it a nutritional boost. If you have kids who are picky about eating vegetables, this could be a good way to get them to eat their greens!
Now you can easily perfect your homemade pasta carbonara and skip the store-bought sauce. Once you get this recipe down, it will become an essential part of your cooking life. It is an easy recipe that needs few ingredients, and only takes about 15 minutes to make. And most of those 15 minutes are waiting for the pasta water to boil!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe, and perfect it on the first try! But if not that’s okay, it takes everyone a second to get it right (even me!). Let me know in the comments how it went for you, and what tips helped you to get the carbonara sauce perfectly velvety.
Please visit the rest of my page for more interesting recipes HERE
- 400 grams spaghetti or any other pasta
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 100 grams bacon or pancetta
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley for garnishing
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl, add parmesan cheese and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- On a large frying pan, saute garlic for about 30 seconds, add bacon until slightly browned. Keep the heat on low until the pasta is ready.
- Transfer the cooked pasta in the frying pan. Mix a little bit then remove the pan from the heat,
- Quickly pour the egg and cheese mixture to the pan and lift up the spaghetti using thongs to mix with the sauce easily and everything is coated.
- Add extra pasta cooking water to keep it saucy. Season with salt and pepper when needed. Garnish with more cheese and parsley. Serve immediately